What To Do After a Slip and Fall Accident

  • Request a Consultation

    or call 416-967-9100
  • Recent Blog Posts

  • As the temperature drops below zero, ice and snow can lead to serious slip and fall accidents. Last winter, we offered some tips for avoiding dangerous slips and falls, but if it happens, here are some important tips to protect your legal rights.

    Do you know what to do after a slip and fall?

    It happens in a split second; a patch of ice, or wet floor, causes your feet to slide and you come crashing down to the ground. The shock and embarrassment after a slip and fall can lead people to leave the scene as quickly as possible. However, if you end up needing to pursue a legal claim for compensation, this can impact your ability to recover.

    Immediately after a slip and fall:

    • Ask for help. If you are in a public place, ask someone nearby for assistance, or call 911 if you are seriously hurt.
    • Document the scene. Unless you are seriously injured, take photographs immediately of the area where you fell, your shoes, and anything else that contributed to your fall. If a handrail or sign was missing, include these areas. Take brief notes, and get the names and contact information of anyone that witnessed what happened.
    • Report your fall. In a commercial space, seek out building security or company management to report your fall. Fill in any necessary incident reports, and get copies of any documents produced.

    In the weeks following a slip and fall:

    • See a medical professional. As soon as possible after your fall, visit your family doctor and review any injuries. Follow through on any medical recommendations and follow up visits. Keep a calendar of these visits, and receipts for your expenses.
    • Keep notes. Sometimes, injuries can worsen in the days following a slip and fall. Having a record of how your injuries develop, and the course of your recovery, can assist in a future legal claim.
    • Speak to a lawyer. Even if you are unsure about whether to pursue a lawsuit after a slip and fall, speaking to a qualified personal injury lawyer can help you determine the best course of action.
    • If you fell on public property, it is critical that you report your accident immediately to the municipal authority. A personal injury specialist can handle this process on your behalf.

    Personal injury specialists offering legal advice after a slip and fall accident

    At Jasmine Daya & Co. we specialise in representing injured victims after slips and falls, and other serious accidents. Our lawyers have over four decades of experience fighting on behalf of plaintiffs, and we can help you take the steps after an accident to protect your legal rights, and set up a claim for compensation.

    We give free consultations for all new clients, so you can discuss your unique situation with one of our legal professionals, and make an informed decision about your case. If you have been seriously injured, contact us online, or by calling 416-967-9100.