How a Landlord Can End a Tenancy Agreement Early


This blog is a continuation of my previous post on how tenants can end a tenancy agreement early.

Similarly, as for tenants, the law in Ontario protects landlords by providing ways to end their tenancy agreement early.

Generally, tenancy agreements are terminated at the end of their term, unless a landlord gives the tenant a written notice * or the landlord and tenant come to an agreement.

Landlords can only end the tenancy for the reasons listed in the Residential Tenancies Act.  These reasons include but are not limited to: tenants not paying their rent or abandoning the property; tenants causing damage to the rental property or impairing the safety of others; tenants disturbing the reasonable enjoyment of the property of other tenants, as well as for illegal activity in the rental unit. Other reasons to end a tenancy agreement include, when a landlord intends to renovate the property and an empty unit is required for the work to be completed; when a landlord requires the rental unit for a family member or caregiver to move into the unit, or when the landlord is selling the property.

The landlord will need to give the tenant a notice in writing indicating that they are requesting the tenant to move out of the property. It is important to note that the notice must include all of the information required by the Residential Tenancies Act; otherwise the notice may be void, or an incomplete or incorrect notice may be dismissed by the Landlord and Tenant Board.

For a complete listing of the notice periods required by the law for landlords to provide to their respective tenants, please visit this website.

It is advisable to communicate with the tenant in writing and to save all correspondence. Should the matter be taken to the Landlord and Tenant Board, these documents will be relied upon.

Jasmine Daya & Co. has recently expanded our services to include Landlord and Tenant Services. If you have any questions, call our team at 416-967-9100 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.




* The form to use is called the L3 – Application to Terminate a Tenancy Agreement when the landlord and tenant have come to an agreement. The L2 – Application to Terminate a Tenancy and Evict a Tenant is used with the intention to evict the tenant. These forms can be found on the Social Justice Tribunals of Ontario Website.