Can I Sue if a Bouncer Assaults Me?


Can I Sue if a Bouncer Assaults Me?

The last thing you expect when going out for a night on the town is to wind up enduring a devastating injury after being assaulted by a bouncer. Unfortunately, these types of injuries happen more frequently than you might think, but you may be able to bring an aggressive bouncer to justice by pursuing a personal injury lawsuit against them.

Continue reading to learn more about how a civil claim differs from any criminal charges that may be filed and how you can get the bouncer who assaulted you to cover your losses.

Differences between Civil and Criminal Bouncer Assault Cases

When the bouncer assaulted you, it is quite possible that law enforcement decided to press charges against them, with or without your support. The charges brought against the bouncer by law enforcement are criminal and are completely separate from the civil lawsuit you may be bringing against them.

Criminal charges have significant potential penalties, including jail or prison time, community service, probation, and a criminal record, to name a few. This is different from your lawsuit in that you are responsible for bringing the claim against the bouncer, and you’ll be seeking compensation from them as opposed to seeking criminal penalties.

Bringing a Personal Injury Claim against a Violent Bouncer

The differences between criminal charges and a civil claim against the bouncer don’t stop there. Since the two are separate matters, if law enforcement declined to press charges, or was unsuccessful in pressing charges, this should have no bearing on the success of your lawsuit, as the burden of proof in civil claims is less strict than in criminal court.

When facing criminal charges, the bouncer’s guilt will need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt for a guilty verdict to be issued, whereas your civil lawsuit only requires guilt to be proven based on a preponderance of the evidence. This means that if the evidence provided demonstrates that the bouncer did, in fact, assault you, you should be able to recover the compensation you are seeking.

Discuss Your Case with a Toronto Bouncer Assault Lawyer

If you have been seriously injured after being assaulted by a bouncer, you may need legal representation to obtain compensation for your suffering. Schedule your free consultation with a highly trained bouncer assault lawyer in Toronto by reaching out to Jasmine Daya & Co.

You can fill out the online contact form we have provided at the bottom of this page or call our firm at 416-967-9100 when you are ready to discuss the details of your case.